Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Precursor

I grew up in the famous baseball city of St. Louis. While my whole family continues to be Cardinal fans (Yes I'm still mad about last last year), I picked up Rangers baseball as a hobby 10 years ago. I slowly learned more and more over the years, and I now rarely miss a game, and read most news articles daily. Therefore with encouragement here I am doing this blog. I figure it's a good way to combine my baseball passion with my English profession, in the hopes that someone might take interest.

I am not a National league fan, and I will admit my knowledge of the National league is lagging. You will see me weigh in on everything American League, including past and present topics, stats, minor league prospects, and current projections for players. I know there are a WIDE array of stats to look at, but I am a fan of WAR (Wins Above Replacement), and rely heavily on it when looking at players. It's not the most valid stat, but it can help project a players' worth when looking at the overall picture. I say this simply because someones opinions can be skewed with this stat, but I always welcome the feedback. The article below is the simplest article I could find to explain it. I can explain it better if you are that interested.
WAR defined

With that said, there are 19 days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training, 30 days until the first spring training game begins, and 63 days until Opening Day. I look forward to Rooting, Cheering, and Singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" everyday until the Rangers receive their 2012 World Series Championship!

No comments: